As we gather together this long weekend to celebrate with family and friends I am reminded of how great this country is, and how honoured I am to call myself a Canadian. The freedoms we enjoy are not to be taken for granted, we are indeed blessed to call this wonderous place our home. Whether you are taking in some of the activities around the city, hosting a barbeque or simply spending the day at home here are some fun facts about Canada that you may not know. Happy Birthday Canada! 155 never looked so good.
Canada has the longest coastline in the world!
Have you seen a map of Canada? All those islands and irregular lines that mark were the land ends? All those jagged lines add up to the longest coastline in the world at over 125,500 miles.
- Coastal air is full of negative ions that allow the body to more easily absorb oxygen lowering stress levels, improving your mood and sleep habits. Considering a move? Maybe the coast is for you.
And that word is Kanata which means "settlement" or "village" in the language of the Iroquoians.
- Dictionary.com describes a village as a small community or a group of houses in a rural area.
A fact we should all be proud of! Immigration reunifies families, supports the economy, and drives population growth. Annually Canada becomes home to around a tenth of the worlds resettled refugees.
- Population Growth is the pace at which people are moving to an area. An average of 2.5 people live in a household.
Those great lakes, and lakes that are just great make up alot of this country, with the highest proportion of fresh water in the world.
- Owning a cabin on a lake not only creates family memories, but could also generate great rental income all year long.
Around 7 millions boxes of Kraft Dinner are sold worldwide, and Canada cooks up a bunch of them. 1.7 million boxes in fact.
- A kitchen renovation could potentially add between 5% - 10% to the value of a property and a nice place to cook and enjoy that Mac & Cheese!